06 November 2008

A different world in which to travel

I've been through several elections. My candidate has won sometimes and lost sometimes. But, I always have seen the result through a fairly narrow viewfinder.

I've been concerned about the way Americans' perception by the world has changed over the past 8 years. Planning to travel abroad has heightened the awareness that we Fulbrighters wear "American" on the back of our jersey. Perception makes that label look good, neutral, or bad to our world audience.

According to our expert panel at the Fulbright orientation this past summer, America's image in Africa has remained stronger than in other regions. Investment and aid to the region appear to have kept the connection strong. A bright spot in the Bush Years (sorry, did I just let this blog wander politically...?) has been the continued support of AIDS programs in Africa. So, the 'American' label has not been tarnished as much in Africa. Another reason to go there.

You know what it's like to wake up on the day after an election. Every election has an influence on the next few years. So, that fresh feeling on the morning-after has always been there--an excitement of what is to come. Even if my guy lost.

But, this year is different. Our impending out-of-country experience makes me realize the global implications, as well. And, Africans are excited about Obama. It's a different world. And, we'll be traveling in it. Bully!

P.S. for a great description of the US' election night/morning-after in Windhoek, Namibia check out the blog of a current Fulbrighter in Namibia:
http://lightfootline.blogspot.com/2008/11/us-elections-in-namibia.html

1 comment:

Scott Gunn said...

Larkin, I've been to Africa twice in the last couple of years. In both cases, I was amazed at the love for America and Americans. The rest of the world seems pretty adept at distinguishing between our leaders and our people. Thank God for that.

One thing (about the only thing) for which I'll give credit to the Bush administration is that we ramped up the US aid to Africa. So many Africans have been positively affected by what we've done there. Of course, we're still -- on a percentage basis -- one of the stingiest industrialized nations with our foreign aid, but it all adds up.

I can't speak with authority about Namibia; I was in East Africa. My guess is that being an American will be a good thing there. Keep us all posted on your adventures!

Peace,
Scott