17 December 2008

The University and lint in your pocket

Readers of NTN will have to pardon a bit of reflection in this week's posting. For several reasons, this has been a week that has caused me to think about what it means to be a University professor. Obviously, I love my job--to see several photographic reasons, go here.

So, the past week's events and how they are all related...

First, it's been a week (or more) of good-bye's, which are fun and not-so-fun at the same time. Among the most fun of the events was the UNL Wildlife Club's Game Feed, which featured multiple dead animals cooked to tasty perfection by some great students. Students invited the advisors and their families, which was nice (considering we invaded a student party). And, they gave our family a going-away card with some funny thoughts about our trip to Africa. Advising the Club is a great adventure, and we'll miss UNL students and especially Wildlife Clubbers.

Second, it's been final exam week. I had fun with my exam this week--giving each student 1/4 of the exam and then having them work in groups to finish the exam and make sure the other 3 blokes (or blokettes) did their part correctly. A great learning exercise. I hate exams worse than students (believe it or not), so I had fun watching their interactions. Who cares if the average score was high? I bet they learned something.

Last, Kelly and I heard this week that one of our undergraduate professors from Graceland passed away. Dr. Gaylord Shaw was our Histology instructor, as well as Anatomy and Physiology. Suffice it to say we stayed long hours in his lab watching slides and memorizing tissues until it was very dark outside. He was also the professor that encouraged us to 'petition' if we thought we got a question on an exam right--but we had to do it in writing and prove we were right. I am not sure I ever won a petition, but I do this with my students, now. Professors have a way of living on in the lives of their students, and Dr. Shaw (right) is no exception. Lots of us Histology students out there. Kind of like lint in your pocket--you may not remember where it came from, but it stays with you.

Professors and students. It's what the University is about. I'm looking forward to experiencing Polytechnic's environment--for comparison. We'll sure miss our UNL friends and family. But, just like professors that leave us, friends and family have a way of staying with you when you leave them. Like lint, but a bit sweeter memories.
I warned you. Next post will not be so reflective. I might even swear if packing is not going too well. It turns out there's a lot to do to get ready to leave the continent.

No comments: