08 August 2009

Thoughts from the blind


During the recent excursion with Polytechnic students, we spent 48 hours in hides (blinds) counting wildlife. It was a great 48 hours, and we saw some neat sites (click here to go to Picasa photo site). But, we had 48 hours to sit and ponder the world as we waited for animals to come to the waterhole. Here are some thoughts that went through my mind:
  • Why is everything wrapped in noisy plastic?

  • What is it going to be like to be back in a place where you can't see giraffes?

  • I need a blind on a pond for my own use back home. Time to move to the country!

  • There is no substitute for a good chair.

  • I am fairly certain that I have never before looked into a buffalo's eyes at 25 m.

  • Giraffes are just odd animals.

  • I wonder if General Pershing ever contemplated using rhinos as a tactical weapon?

  • Is it possible that the moon is closer to the earth in Africa?

  • Duikers are the Rodney Dangerfield of the animal kingdom.

  • I would eat some ice cream if an ice cream truck came by.

  • If sand could be inexpensively shipped, Namibia would be a wealthy country.

  • Forty-eight hours is about as long as 2 days. Maybe longer. I don't have a calculator.

  • I would have to estimate that only 60% of elands that we are seeing have a well-balanced, matched set of horns. The rest seem to have odd pitched or twisted horns. Is there something in the water I'm drinking?

  • I would not have guessed that buffalo would be so skittish.

  • Large mammals are interesting. Why do I study birds?!

  • If an eland ever gets a mutation that keeps it from clicking when it walks, that trait should remain in the gene pool.

  • Maybe I should try not showering and wearing the same clothes for 2 days more often?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We just got done with only changing clothes occaisionally during our caravan odyssey - it is somewhat liberating I agree.