05 September 2009

Rear ended

We've been security-conscious ever since we arrived in Namibia. It is an understatement to say that we will be very happy to be back to our house in Lincoln with no bars on windows, no gates, and no electric fence or barbed wire between us an our neighbors.

Today, I was waiting for a couple cars to pass in the parking lot at our grocery, before I walked across the lot to our car. I felt a slight pressure on my wallet, and immediately feared the worst. Here was the moment I'd been waiting for all year. A pickpocket?

I whirled around, and was somewhat relieved to find out that I was actually about to be run over by a small truck. A gentleman was trying to back out of his parking spot. He could see me, and evidently I wasn't moving fast enough for him. So, he decided to back up and nudge me a bit with his truck to encourage me to move out of the way. Well, life is interesting isn't it? At least he didn't want my wallet.

I think I know where he lives. I'm thinking about going to 'TP' his barbed wire fence tonight.

On a more positive note, we had a great morning at Tristan's school. Today (Saturday) was Sports Day at Windhoek International School (WIS). Not required. But, I think most of the school showed up. A house vs. house competition for kids in some fun sporting events. The atmosphere was competitive, but fun. Everyone tried their best. They encouraged parents to get involved in several events, too.

The house concept is a good one. It's similar to the house system at Hogwarts School in Harry Potter, where students of all ages are grouped across years into 'houses'. During the year, if you get a detention, your house loses points. If you do something good, a teacher can award 'house points' as well. The houses at WIS are called the Lions, Cheetahs, and Leopards, appropriately. Tristan is a Leopard, and it was fun to see him interacting with older students in tug-of-wars, as well as helping younger Leopards and cheering for them in competitions.

I wonder if a 'house' system would be an effective way to build comradery among students in a Fisheries and Wildlife undergraduate program at UNL? Freshmen could be divided in Pronghorns, Prairie-chickens, and Bull Snakes.

Here's a toss to Tristan's blog, where he explains the day--you can also see a video summary we did of all the fun.

No comments: