19 September 2009

Teaching in Namibia: things I've enjoyed

My Fulbright fellowship is a lecture/research fellowship, which means I've been teaching just as much as I would have been back in Huskerland. It has been an interesting experience to say the least. While my Ecology II students were taking a test on Friday, I made a list of thing that I've enjoyed about teaching in Namibia---and a second list (coming soon) of things that I now appreciate about teaching in Nebraska.

So, things I've enjoyed in Namibia:

The Memo and Tutorial Letter:
When a lecturer gives a test in Namibia, there are two versions--the "test paper" that the students get and the "memo" that the teacher keeps. The "memo" contains the answers to the test, with explanations of how answers are derived. The memo is used to mark the test, and in the case of Final Exams, the memo has to be approved by an outside "moderator" (see my next post about the problems related to this). When the test (or even some large assignments) are given back to the students, they receive a "tutorial letter," which explains in detail the information on the "memo." The nice thing about the "tutorial letter" is that it provides a good opportunity for learning and feedback. Sometimes in Nebraska, I'm guilty of turning back an exam and then starting the next lecture without really talking much about the exam. At Polytechnic, it is common to take an entire hour to go through the test and discuss the tutorial letter--so students get the written and oral feedback on the test.

Rigor:
There is no grade inflation in Namibia. Students are happy to receive anything higher than a 50%, which is the "pass" level. This has taken me a long time to get used to. When I first arrived, I felt sorry for the students. But, there is something to be said for a bit more rigor than perhaps I instill back in Nebraska. Students should know that there are high expectations for receiving B's and A's. It will be interesting to see how I transition back to UNL; I'm guessing my classes will receive lower grades than they used to.

Powerpoint is Evil:
Most professors in the US have adapted to Bill Gates' marvelous invention: Powerpoint. Lectures are now glossy presentations, scripted lists, and contain a TON of content, because it is so easy to go quickly through it--no writing on the blackboard anymore. In Namibia, there are usually not powerpoint projectors to use, and if they do exist they are not reliable (in fact, even overhead projectors often not in working order). So, I've been doing a lot more blackboard work--like when I started teaching at Univ. of Dubuque. The bottomline: you concentrate on covering less material in more depth, you have more discussions with students, the lectures are more 'free form', and I have really enjoyed being in the classroom here. Powerpoint is evil, and has probably done more to ruin education in the US than anything I can think of. I will stop using it when I go home. Maybe.

Distance Learning Done Right:
Students in Nature Conservation at Polytechnic can graduate in three years with a National Diploma, after which most of them find jobs. To obtain a Bachelors degree, they have to take an additional year of courses...but because they are working around the country, the 4th Year is offered via distance. The format is great, and is a product of the lack of electronic mumbo-jumbo that we often try to use in the US to spice up distance courses. There are no video files to download; no one has an internet connection. There are no on-line chats between students; most students don't have a computer at home. The method used by Polytechnic is to bring all students together for a week at the beginning of the first semester--for lectures and introductions to the subjects by lecturers. Then, the students go away and rely on a textbook, study guide, and assignments. Usually there are 4 assignments, with one due every 2 months. On two occasions during the year, students come to campus for "Vacation School" which is held while on-campus students are on spring or fall break. And, an additional week of "Practical" is provided where students and lecturers spend the week doing field exercises. By the end of the year, the students have met 4-5 times with their teachers. I think it's Distance Learning done right--to accommodate students' needs. It's not Distance Learning done to accommodate 200+ students and bring in lots of tuition money (shame on us).

Essay Exams:
Sorry, UNL students. I'll be going back to essay exams when I return. All tests and exams in Nature Conservation at Polytechnic are essay form. They kind of laughed when I asked if they ever use multiple choice. Essays are more rigorous (see above point on Rigor) and they really show who has learned the material well. The down-side is that they take time to mark for the teacher. Thus, I have joined the majority of faculty in the States who do not give essay exams anymore. They take time, but faculty at Polytechnic will take an afternoon and close their door to mark assignments or tests--it's not something they do at home during family time. It is expected that lecturers will be unavailable for chunks of time to get assignments marked. That idea is something I'll take the time back in Nebraska. It will mean some other things don't get done, but I think it will be worth it.

Respect for Professors:
I have never been called anything in the classroom here, besides "Prof," "Doctor," or "Sir." No one has ever called me "Powell" or asked if they could call me "Larkin". I like having students being comfortable with me, but I certainly have enjoyed being in a culture where respect is paramount--and it goes beyond the salutations. This is the same culture that we found in Georgia (USA), where students would almost always use "sir" or "ma'am".

Extra Pay for Extra Work:
Polytechnic asks a lot of their lecturers. They teach at least two courses a semester, mentor student research, and help with distance courses. The 'moderator' system also requires them to spend a lot of time marking other lecturer's assignments (each exam gets marked by the lecturer and the moderator). But, they are paid for the extra work. They are paid for moderating (about US$1/student/exam), and they receive about US$2/student/assignment to mark assignments for distance courses. It's not a lot, but the symbolic gesture of paying something for the extra work sure beats the pants off of the system that I'm used to--where you just suck it up and get on with the extra work.

It's been an interesting ride. These are some things that I've enjoyed, and it was a nice surprise to be treated to some unexpected learning experiences. Stay tuned for the 'other' list.

No comments: